Southwest Coalition for Life
The Southwest Coalition for Life is searching for several energized community organizers to lead the upcoming 40 Days for Life prayer vigils in Las Cruces and Santa Teresa which will take place between September 28 and November 6, 2022. This temporary position lasts approximately 14 weeks beginning approximately seven weeks before the campaign begins and ending a few days after the campaign ends. At the end of employment, ongoing job opportunities may be available, and for some this position has led to full-time work in the pro-life movement!
40 Days for Life is a community prayer campaign that employs a determined, peaceful approach to see God bring about an end to the violence of abortion at the local level. Founded by David Bereit as a one-time campaign in 2004 in College Station, TX, it led to a dramatic reduction in local abortion numbers. The abortion clinic director, Abby Johnson, experienced a profound conversion and left the abortion industry, later praying outside the same facility she once managed until it closed at the end of 2015. The building is now a pro-life pregnancy medical center managed by two former abortionists who are now devout Christians, and also houses the headquarters for the now-global 40 Days for Life movement. To date, 40 Days for life campaigns have led to over 21,989 known babies saved, 240 abortion workers converting, and 117 abortion facilities closing permanently, including three in the Borderland region.
Are YOU being called to step up to and take on a more active role in mobilizing our community to see God continue to end the violence of abortion across the Borderland?
The ideal candidate will enjoy:
- Our unique model: In addition to our programs to build a Culture of Life in the Southwest, we also strive toward providing quality healthcare to ensure that women have a life-affirming alternative through pre-natal and post-natal medical, education, and material support.
- Our culture: At Southwest Coalition for Life, we offer a more relaxed working environment, catering to the needs of our employees and establishing a family-like feel, leading by example to help moms be heroes by supporting childwatch and breastfeeding in the workplace.
- Being an innovator: As a small non-profit organization, you will be joining a team that welcomes innovation and ideas to support a ground-breaking mission on the new frontline of the pro-life movement in post-Roe America.
The Southwest Coalition for Life started in 2015 as a way to peacefully and prayerfully end the trauma of abortion in Las Cruces, New Mexico, and expanded into El Paso in 2017 to help moms be heroes by empowering and connecting women and couples with free, quality, and life-affirming care through our intern outreach, medical ultrasound bus, and medical centers which are currently expanding to provide comprehensive women’s healthcare focused on fertility, pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and mothering.
Our Core Values
Vigil Coordinators must embody and execute Southwest Coalition for Life’s Core Values within their day-to-day duties and responsibilities:
- Humble: Be respectful, share credit, and lift up your team even at a potential loss for yourself.
- Hungry: Take initiative, strive for excellence in your work, and take the next step no matter the obstacles.
- Smart: Be conscious of the impact of your words and actions on others, and communicate clearly to handle conflict effectively.
- Heart: Be compassionate, prayerful, and woman-centered, empathetic towards others and able to both love joyfully and act soberly when needing to give aid.
What the Role Entails
40 Days for Life vigils have been successfully conducted by young adults, business owners, full-time students, Catholics, Protestants, Evangelicals, 18-year-old students, 86-year-old retirees, post-abortive women, former abortion workers, and people of all walks of life. If you have the drive to make a difference to end abortion in our community, we will help enable and train you to have the biggest impact as possible! As a local coordinator, you’ll receive comprehensive training; access to online resources and tools; one-on-one mentoring and around-the-clock access to Coalition for Life staff; and a variety of tools, templates, and resources to help with the vigil.
The following are detailed performance objectives for Vigil Coordinators. When measuring overall aptitude and cultural fit, all candidates will be benchmarked using these standards.
- Recruit and coordinate seven volunteer Day Captains to help recruit and manage 168+ weekly prayer volunteers with a goal of at least two weekly prayer volunteers per hour, creating an unbroken chain of prayer each hour from 7AM to 7PM each day for 40 days.
- Begin community outreach to fill vigil hours weeks in advance by tabling, making announcements, and communicating with local churches, priests, pastors, youth groups, music ministries, volunteers, and more.
- Conduct team meetings, promote flyers and church announcements, help plan and coordinate campaign rallies and events, track and record volunteer hours, and record stories and photos from the vigil.
- Work interdependently with other vigil coordinators to plan joint events and communications between local vigil locations.
- Communicate effectively with hundreds of volunteers by phone, email, and text.